Blogs > Cleveland Cavaliers Blog

Find out the scoop on the CAVS from award-winning sports writer Bob Finnan.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Game 60: Spurs at Cavs

SAN ANTONIO SPURS (50-11) 109, CAVS (11-49) 99
at Quicken Loans Arena
RADIO/TV: WTAM/Fox Sports Ohio


WHAT HAPPENED: One can't say the Cavs played horribly against the Spurs. They just were too banged up to really compete. I have a feeling we're going to see that a lot in the last 22 games.

I've been saying this until I'm blue in the face and I'll say it again: With Antawn Jamison out of the lineup, points are going to be hard to come by.

Samardo Samuels filled in admirably for Jamison with 23 points and 10 rebounds. I have to admit I've turned the corner a bit on Samuels. I was originally turned off by his lack of athleticism and jumping ability. He's kind of a plodding player.

Samuels, though, works extremely hard and is as strong as an ox. Whether I'm a big fan or not, it's time to give him a shot. What's the downside to the situation? They lose?

It's time to watch the development of the young players the rest of the way.

That includes forward Alonzo Gee, as well, He was inserted at small forward in place of Christian Eyenga. Gee hit more 18- to 20-foot jumpers last night than I had seen all season. That has been the knock on him: He really couldn't shoot. If he improves in that area, he's a legitimate prospect.

I did notice it's difficult to play both J.J. Hickson and Samuels in the pivot. They just get in each others' way. But watching Hickson operate in space on the perimeter is a joke. He really doesn't know what to do out there and I just don't want to see him launch jumpers.

STARTERS
SF Alonzo Gee (6-6, 219) vs. Richard Jefferson (6-7, 225)
PF Samardo Samuels (6-9, 260) vs. Tim Duncan (6-11, 260)
C J.J. Hickson (6-9, 242) vs. DeJuan Blair (6-7, 270)
SG Anthony Parker (6-6, 210) vs. Manu Ginobili (6-6, 205)
PG Ramon Sessions (6-3, 190) vs. George Hill (6-2, 180)
INACTIVE LIST
Cavs – F Antawn Jamison, C Semih Erden, C Anderson Varejao.
Spurs – G Tony Parker.
OFFICIALS
Ed Malloy, Tony Brothers, Haywoode Workman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home