Blogs > Cleveland Cavaliers Blog

Find out the scoop on the CAVS from award-winning sports writer Bob Finnan.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Postseason awards ballots are in

I received my postseason awards ballots from the NBA. Here are the ones I'm voting on:
Coach of the Year, Rookie of the Year, Most Improved Player, Defensive Player of the Year and All-NBA.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a ballot for Most Valuable Player.

I'll devote a future column on how I vote and how the other voters on my NBA-wide conference call voted. It's usually a good indication on how the voting will turn out.

At first glance, there are no Cavaliers players in line for any of the postseason awards.

X X X
The local chapter of the Pro Basketball Writers Association voted for the Austin Carr Good Guy Award on Thursday. The coveted award winner will be announced next week. We present the winner with a plaque before the last home game of the season.

X X X
As a way to honor retiring radio broadcaster Joe Tait, the local media will wear Tait-like sweaters for Friday's game. I have to tell you, I'll really miss having him around.

My idea was to hang a giant Tait-like sweater from the rafters instead of a jersey. It's not the worst idea. The Cavs will hang his jersey on Friday and, as per his instructions, there will be a brief ceremony.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, Bob! Joe Tait is to this day THE BEST radio play-by-play person I have ever heard in my 60+ years.

I distinctly remember listening to Miracle of Richfield games played in Washington that were not televised in those days, and feeling like I was actually there. And, then, the next day, when filmed highlights of key plays were shown on the local news, I literally felt I had already seen the plays already.

Joe captured the rhythm of the game, articulately and clearly, and properly blended support for the team while never afraid to call out poor play and mediocre effort.

While Cleveland fans may have few championships to cling to, Joe Tait is a true blessing and a champion.

April 7, 2011 at 12:46 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home